Saturday, July 30, 2011

BAKING IN 90 DEGREE HEAT?

No, I'm not totally crazy, I'm simply hungry for some homemade treats.  Especially since I got involved in the Big Loser contest at work, my intake of sweets has been limited.  What I'm finding is that when I do get a treat, they tend to taste a bit too sweet.  My taste buds must be adjusting and I suppose that's a good thing.

That said, when a sweet tooth begins to ache, it doesn't much matter what the temperature outside is at the time, I'll head to my non-airconditioned kitchen and whip up something to make me happy. 

Even though I'm watching my calorie intake, one of my favorite evening pastimes while watching television is to browse through my copious collection of cookbooks.  My collection has been growing since before I left home to set off for college. Some of these came from friends, others were purchased at various fund raisers around the area and not a few came from travels and act as a souvenier of my time in cities I've visited.  Tagged and retagged over the years are recipes that I think I'll get around to "someday".  Recently I've begun shrinking my collection (along with everything in my house that I'm downsizing these days) and I've tossed out pounds and pounds of magazines that I've ripped specific pages from. The pages first went into binders for safer keeping and more recently have been scanned and turned into pdf files for storage on my computer.  Less paper and easier indexing are my main goals these days. 

One such recipe that I've tagged a bunch of times and never got around to making is the following bar cookie.  Not filled with sweetness nor covered with ooey chocolate, this looked as though it would easily satisfy my recently downgraded sweet tooth. 

Raisins and their perfect partner - RUM!
This is an adult recipe due to the double addition of rum.  Rum soaked raisins and a bit of rum in the glaze make this seem a little indulgent but it really serves to cut the sweetness.  I've long ago lost track of where I found this recipe, it had been cut out of magazine and pasted onto another page and a quick search on-line turned up nothing similar.  So for now, I'm claiming it as my own.  Best of all, if cut as indicated into 32 pieces, each bar is a measly 75 calories.

RUM-GLAZED RAISIN BARS

Bar:
2 tablespoons gold rum
1/2 cup raisins
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder 
1/2 cup butter, softened
6 tablesppons sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup milk
Glaze:
2 tablesppons butter, softened
1 tablespoon gold rum
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar


Rum-Glazed Raisin Bars

Sprinkle rum over the raisins, set aside. 

Mix flour and baking powder in a small bowl and set aside.  In a mixer, beat butter, sugar and egg till fluffy.  By hand, stir in flour mixture alternately with milk, just until blended.  Stir in raisins and their rum.

Spread evenly in a greased 9-inch square pan.  Bake in 350 degree oven 20-25 minutes or until tests done with a toothpick.

Cool slightly in pan.  Meanwhile, mix glaze ingredients together adding rum till a spreading consitency.  Once bars are cool, spread glaze evenly over the bars.  Cut into 32 pieces.


No comments:

Post a Comment