Saturday, December 5, 2009

CHIHULY IN COLUMBUS

Today Cathy and I took a day trip to Columbus to see part of the Chihuly in Columbus exhibit. We visited the Franklin Conservatory and spent an awestuck 2 hours roaming from room to room. When plants are in bloom this is a lovely place to visit...about 5 years ago I visited the Conservatory and found it very beautiful. During this time of year not much is blooming and the addition of the glass work by Dale Chihuly makes for an awesome experience. Chihuly's work is known for it's deep, rich color and whimsical and wacky designs. I've been to several of his exhibits in the past including a visit to his studios in Seattle.


Currently this work is being displayed in 3 locations in Columbus but we only had time to go to the Conservatory. I'd guess that the art museum will have equally interesting exhibits of his work. Here is a link to the web site describing the exhibit and it's locations (www.chihuly-in-columbus.com/) The photo here to the right is actually a ceiling display. I saw one like this in Las Vegas in the Bellagio. The photo below looks like something from another planet! Just glorious!

We also spent several hours wandering through the WinterFair, a large craft show at the Ohio State Fairgrounds. Cathy and I both came home with some one-of-a-kind jewelry and I also found a lady who makes some really cute switchplates. I brought one back for the kitchen - let's see if it inspires me to get some additional work done in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment