Wednesday, November 4, 2009

GOOD FRIENDS ARE FOREVER…

GOOD FRIENDS ARE FOR KEEPS! Karen Carpenter sang this little ditty on an obscure album back in the 70’s. The song is on my iPod because it makes me smile when I hear it. Just like my friend Ruth - she makes me smile. Ruth moved to South Carolina a couple of years ago and we miss her sweet laugh and cheery disposition daily. We worried about her moving so far away and basically starting her life over again but naturally we should have known it wouldn’t take her long to find a new batch of fun friends to hang with and enjoy life with. She’s taken Shag lessons (she SAYS it’s a regional dance but wasn’t offering to show us how it’s done, so I have my doubts about that) and joined groups to go out to eat and play with. It cannot be that easy to pick up and move your life from one state to another and maybe some folks are more adept at that than I would be. My parents have done it a few times, but somehow I never really had the urge to pick up and go elsewhere.

My friend Bev basically did the same thing when she moved here a few years ago from Miami. Her daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter were here, but she didn’t know anyone else and has also done a great job of fitting in. This photo is of Bev and Ruth during Ruth's visit last week. And yes, we DO like to share a glass of two of wine!

Come to think of it, my friend Nancy did the same thing several years ago when she came here to teach at Kent. Hmmmm….there sure are a lot of transplants around here!

Then there’s old friends like the girl I grew up with, Dorothy. For some reason we just lost touch a few years ago and although I still consider her one of my best friends, I haven’t seen her in, what – maybe 8 or 9 years? Lordy, how did THAT happen? Then when you think about maybe reaching out, you realize it’s been SO long that you get embarrassed and so you don’t make that connection. Next thing you know, it’s ANOTHER year or two tacked on and then it all just sort of slips through the cracks.

Well, overall, I do have a lot of good friends and I’m genuinely thankful for each and every one of them. So here’s hoping that Ms. Carpenter had it right…GOOD FRIENDS ARE FOREVER, GOOD FRIENDS ARE FOR KEEPS! Even if I’m not the best at keeping in touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment